Grilled Thai tofu satay with peanut sauce. These are perfect with summer coming up and grilling season!
Packed with flavour and super easy to make these Thai tofu satay skewers will impress both vegan and non vegans!
It’s no surprise to you that I love Asian cuisine and I know you guys do too! Some of my most popular dishes are Thai or Indian recipes and I can’t wait to share this one with you!
So what is Thai tofu satay? Quite simply it’s tofu marinated in a red thai curry and coconut sauce. It is then placed onto skewers and grilled on a griddle pan or bbq!
And no satay would be complete without a peanut sauce, in this case a spicy thai peanut sauce. It’s made up of red thai curry pasta, peanut butter, coconut milk, maple syrup and soy sauce. This gets a simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from Recipe Tin Eats, when I saw her thai chicken satay I knew I had to adapt it and make it vegan friendly!
They’re also adapted from my Veggie Satay Noodles which are one of my all time favourite peanut butter recipes!
For the tofu in this recipe you want to make sure you buy an extra firm one. If you can’t find any make sure you press out as much water as you can beforehand.
You don’t want the tofu to be falling apart when placing on the skewers or grilling! If you’re in the UK I always buy the brand Tofoo which you can find in most big supermarkets.
You also want to use a natural peanut butter and not one that is full of sugar and additives. You can find my recommendation in the recipe below!
Make sure you also use a vegan red thai curry paste as they often have fish paste in. I use the Blue Dragon pots, not the jars as they have fish sauce for some reason, but the small pots don’t.
These thai tofu satay skewers would make the perfect starter or main with some sticky rice! However you serve them they’ll be enjoyed!
If you’re a fan of thai flavours you may also enjoy some of these popular recipes:
As always if you make this thai tofu satay with peanut sauce be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu (~500g)
- 10 skewers (soaked in water for 30 mins if wooden)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 heaped tsp red thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 heaped tbsp red thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh coriander
- Chopped peanuts
- Cut the tofu into 1.5 inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Mix coconut milk, thai curry paste, maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic and salt in a bowl. Drizzle over the tofu, toss to coat and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the peanut sauce ingredients in a pan and simmer for a few minutes until thickened. If you like it thinner just add a splash more water. Pour into a small bowl to serve later.
- After half an hour, place the tofu pieces onto skewers. I made 10 skewers with 3-4 pieces on each.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium high heat with a little oil . Place the tofu in and cook for a few minutes on each side until charred.
- Pour over any remaining marinade over the top before flipping. Depending how big your pan is you may need to do it in two batches.
- Sprinkle with some fresh coriander, chopped peanuts and peanut sauce!
I use blue dragon thai red curry paste (in the pot, the jars aren't vegan)
Switch it up by using soy pieces, seitan or tempeh.
If you have extra peanut sauce, use it in a stir fry or thin it with some water and use as a dressing!
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tin Eats.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gUnsaturated Fat: 14gSodium: 616mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 21g