I seem to keep cooking with alcohol, I’m not too sure what that says about me. But the white wine is totally necessary in this recipe! Creamy pasta used to be one of my all time favourites before I was vegan. Luckily Oatly do a single cream that is pretty darn close to the real thing (they may as well just sponsor me). Alpro soya cream is also nice but I don’t find it to be as thick as the Oatly one. This dish is super comforting and is ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup veg stock (1 stock cube)
- 1 carton Oatly single cream
- 3 cups kale
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 400g pasta
- Fill a pan with water and boil, add the pasta. If you are doing a different quantity, use roughly 100g per person.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sautée in some oil. Remove the storks from the mushrooms and cut finely and add to the pan.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and place under the grill for about 5 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the white wine and simmer for a couple of minutes. Then add the vegetable stock, herbs, mustard and cream. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes till it is thick and creamy. Start with half a carton and add until it is the consistency you like ( I like it extra creamy!).
- Once the pasta has been boiling for 5 minutes, add the kale in with it.
- Remove the pasta from the boil and drain with the kale. Mix in with the sauce and add the grilled mushrooms. Slice them up or add them whole.
- I like to drizzle some garlic oil on top and some extra ground pepper.
Always check the wine you are using is vegan, I used Waitrose Chenin Blanc.
Sub the Oatly cream for other plant based alternative, but I find this one is the best.