This easy vegan mac and cheese is made with a simple cheesy white sauce that’s packed with flavour and super creamy!
This mac and cheese couldn’t be simpler to make plus it comes together in less than half an hour.
And when a mac and cheese craving hits, I don’t know about you, but I want it stat!
This recipe doesn’t call for difficult to find ingredients or cashews, it’s a classic white sauce made with vegan butter, flour and plant milk.
To make this recipe gluten free it’s really easy – sub the flour for gf all purpose flour and the pasta for gf macaroni pasta. I enjoy it both gf and non gf!
For the plant milk you can use any you like, to make it nut free go with oat or soya milk. If you can get your hands on (or make) cashew milk, it’s my personal favourite.
What you’ll need for vegan Mac and cheese:
- Vegan butter
- Plain flour (or gf if preferred)
- Plant milk (oat, almond, cashew, soya)
- Dijon mustard
- Ground turmeric
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Vegan cheddar
- Vegan mozzarella
- Macaroni pasta (gf if preferred)
I recommend using a mature bvegan cheddar if you can, Violife have one and I find it the most similar to dairy cheddar and will give a stronger cheese flavour. I also use Bute Island vegan mozzarella.
Optional add ins for vegan mac n cheese:
- Vegan bacon
- Vegan sausages
- Sun dried tomatoes or roasted cherry tomatoes
I love adding some umami packed tomatoes to mac and cheese or salty vegan bacon or sausage! My favourite vegan bacon is Sainsbury’s Plant Pioneers Vacon.
How to make vegan mac and cheese:
Start by brining a pot of salted water to boil and then add the macaroni pasta. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Whilst the pasta is cooking in another saucepan melt the butter. Once melted add the flour and whisk until a roux forms.
Add the milk gradually whilst whisking until all the milk is added and there are no lumps.
Now add all the remaining ingredients and cheese and mix until all the cheese has melted. Make sure you grate the cheese if you buy it in blocks.
Taste and season with salt and pepper. I like to be generous with the black pepper.
Add the sauce to the cooked macaroni, stir and serve! Top with some finely chopped chives or spring onion and grated cheddar for extra cheesiness!
For more vegan pasta recipes you may enjoy these:
Roasted red pepper and sun dried tomato pasta
Butternut squash carbonara with sausage crumbles
As always if you make this vegan mac and cheese be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Don’t forget to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram – I’d love to see you all there!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Creamy vegan mac and cheese made with a simple cheesy white sauce and comes together in half an hour! Ultimate comfort food that hits all the cravings!
- 500g / 18oz macaroni pasta (gf if preferred)
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp plain flour (or gf is preferred)
- 825ml / 3.5 cups plant milk (unsweetened almond, oat, soya or cashew)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 200g / 7oz vegan cheddar, grated
- 75g/ 2.6oz vegan mozzarella, grated
To top (optional)
- Finely chopped chives or spring onion
- Black pepper
- Extra grated cheddar
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and then add the macaroni pasta.
- In another saucepan on low heat, melt the vegan butter. Once melted add the flour and whisk until it forms a roux.
- Gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until it is smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese has all melted. If it is too thick you can add a bit of extra milk.
- Taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Pour over the cooked drained pasta and stir until combined.
- Serve and top with chopped chives/spring onion and lots of black pepper! Add some vegan cheddar for extra cheesiness!
Use a vegan mature cheddar like Violife for a stonger cheesy flavour. I use Bute Island vegan mozzarella.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.