This creamy butternut squash pasta with sausage crumbles is tasty, comforting and super easy to make!
Roasted butternut squash is blended with cashews for a super creamy flavourful sauce.
Topped with crumbled vegan sausage which is fried until crispy. They add texture, protein and extra flavour.
In my opinion, you can never have enough pasta recipes. From tomato, creamy or pesto based – they all have a piece of my heart. And vegan pasta recipes don’t mean you have to scrimp on flavour!
You can make this pasta with any type of short or long cut pasta but my personal favourite for this recipe is linguine.
How to make the creamy butternut sauce:
Start by roasting the butternut squash. Peel and cut the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
Place in a baking tray with shallots sliced lengthways, fresh sage and a good drizzle of oil, salt and pepper. Pop in the oven at 200C/400F for 25-30 minutes.
The butternut is ready when its soft through and is starting to brown and caramelise on the edges.
Place the butternut in a food processor along with the shallots, vegetable stock, cashews, plant milk and nutritional yeast.
You will need a high speed blender if you’re blending raw cashews, otherwise soak them in boiling water for half an hour then drain.
Blitz until soft and creamy, taste and season with salt pepper. That’s it! Super simple and so delicious!
Cashews are great for adding creaminess into sauces without the need for dairy.
You will need to soak the cashews for half an hour in boiling water if you don’t have a high speed blender though, so just bear that in mind for your prep time!
Look for a medium to large sized butternut squash. The recipe calls for half a butternut squash which should yield around 3 cups, cut up cubed.
For the sausages, I used Linda McCartney vegan ones. They’re a great texture for crumbling, but any vegan sausages should work!
Use your hands to crumble the sausage and fry in some oil on medium to high heat until its crispy.
For more pasta recipes you may enjoy these:
Roasted courgette pesto pasta – creamy roasted courgettes are blended with spinach, basil and toasted pine nuts. Super fresh, healthy and so delicious!
Tagliatelle puy lentil ragu – comforting and wholesome tagliatelle puy lentil ragu in a rich tomato and red wine sauce
Roasted red pepper and sundried tomato pasta – sweet roasted sweet pepper and sundried tomato pasta. It’s packed with umami flavour, is creamy and so addictive!
As always if you make this creamy butternut squash pasta with sausage crumbles be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- ½ medium-large butternut squash (around 3 cups)
- 2 shallots
- Handful fresh sage leaves
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup cashews
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk/soya milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 400g linguine
- 3 vegan sausages
- Vegan parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Peel the butternut squash, remove seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes. Cut the shallots in half lengthways, remove skin and place in a baking tray with the butternut squash and sage. Generously drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and mix. Place in the oven for 25-3o minutes.
- Prepare the sausage crumbles. If you’re using frozen sausages, place in the microwave for 1 min on high to soften.
- In a frying pan on medium heat add a tbsp of oil and crumble in the sausages using your hands. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Once the butternut squash is starting to brown and caramalise and is soft through, remove from the oven. Place in a blender with the stock and blitz until soft.
- Transfer to a saucepan on low-medium heat with 1 cup of the almond milk. Place the other ½ cup milk in the blender with the cashews and blitz until creamy (if you don’t have a high speed blender you can soak the cashews in hot water for 30 mins, then drain before blending).
- Add the cashew cream to the saucepan along with the nutritional yeast and stir, Leave to warm through whilst you cook the pasta.
- Cook the linguine in salted boiling water for 9 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup of pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta water to the sauce, mix and then add the linguine and stir until coated.
- Serve and top with the sausage crumbles and some vegan parmesan!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Sodium: 678mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 22g