This vegan chocolate chip granola is packed with nuts, coconut and double the chocolate! It’s sweet, crunchy and the perfect sweet breakfast!
If you’re craving something chocolatey for breakfast, I’ve got you covered! With cocoa and dark chocolate chips this granola has all the chocolate. And chocolate in the morning is a great way to start the day if you ask me!
Plus it’s healthier than most shop bought granolas. For sweetness we are using maple syrup and coconut sugar. And of course the dark chocolate!
What you need for chocolate chip granola:
- Nuts (I used hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts)
- Cocoa powder
- Desiccated coconut
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- Dark chocolate (chips or bar)
I know some of these ingredients are on the more expensive side but it is so worth it for the taste! And if you can buy them in bulk it means you can make chocolate granola for time to come!
For the dark chocolate chips you can either use chips or dark chocolate chopped up. I prefer using a good quality dark chocolate bar and cutting into chunks!
You can also add whatever nuts you want or have on hand. I used a mix of pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts.
How to make chocolate granola:
This granola couldn’t be easier to make! In a bowl mix the dried ingredients together – oats, desiccated coconut, coconut sugar, chopped nuts, and cocoa powder. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
In a small bowl mix the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Then pour over the dry ingredients and mix well until all coated.
Line a large baking tray, or two smaller ones with parchment paper. Pour the granola out so there is a even layer of granola.
Pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and gently stir. Be careful not to disturb the granola too much or it wont form clumps.
Once crispy remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 30 minutes before adding the dark chocolate.
Decant into jars when completely cool – it should keep for a couple of weeks. If it lasts that long and you haven’t eat it before then, which I always do!
What to eat this granola with:
- Some vegan yoghurt – my favourite is coconut or vanilla!
- With plant milk – oat or almond is my go to!
- As a snack, it’s delicious just as it is, by the handful 🙂
For more chocolate recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this vegan chocolate chip granola be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 3 cups / 240g jumbo oats (gf if preferred)
- 1/2 cup / 50g cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup / 50g desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup / 120ml melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup / 120ml maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz / 75g dark chocolate (chips or bar)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients - oats, cocoa powder, desiccated coconut, nuts, coconut sugar and salt. Mix until all combined.
- In a s small bowl mix together melted coconut, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix till the oats well coated.
- Line a large baking tray or two small ones with parchment paper. Spead granola in an even layer and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Check after 10 minutes, if the edges are browning too much then gently stir the granola. Cook for another 10-15 minutes until it is all crunchy and baked.
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes then add the chocolate chips or chunks. If using a dark chocolate bar, cut into chip sized pieces then add.
- Serve and store remaining granola in an air tight container. It should keep for 1-2 weeks.
I used a mix of walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts - you can use whatever you prefer of have on hand.