Melt in your mouth vegan vanilla shortbread with chocolate and maple pecans! Buttery soft shortbread with a crunchy sweet pecan topping!
These vegan shortbreads are everything you want from a soft yet crunchy biscuit! The absolute best treat with a cuppa tea!
I plan on making them when I next have friends and family on for us to all snack on! That’s if they last, because they are so moreish!
One of the best things about shortbread is how easy they are to make, with minimal ingredients!
What you’ll need for vanilla shortbread:
- Vegan block butter
- Plain flour
- Caster sugar
- Vanilla bean paste
That is literally all you need for a fantastic vegan shortbread! You want to use a vegan block butter as opposed to a spread. I love the Flora Plant unsalted or Naturli Block.
For extra flavour – vanilla! Vanilla bean paste gives it those gorgeous black speckles and is much stronger and flavourful than essence so I recommend investing in some!
Top top these shortbreads you’ll need:
- Dark chocolate
- Maple syrup
Good quality dark chocolate is always better for baking, and eating! Go for a 70% dark chocolate, or you can use a vegan milk chocolate.
For that sweet crunch on top, we are making roasted maple pecans. These are like little jewels of deliciousness, they are so so good!
How to make vegan shortbread with maple pecans:
Bring vegan butter to room temperature and place in a bowl with caster sugar. Use an electric whisk and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix again.
Now add the flour and combine the mixture with your hands, it’s the easiest way. You can do it in the bowl or on a work surface.
Once it forms a bowl, wrap in greaseproof paper and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Whilst the dough is chilling, make the pecans. Toss pecans in maple syrup and place in the oven for 3-4 minutes until dark golden and sticky. Leave to cool and then cut into small pieces.
With the dough still in the greaseproof paper, roll out until 1/2 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut into fingers about 3.5 inches long. It will make around 16 but you can cut into any shape you like!
Roll any leftover bits into a ball and cut again. You can use cutters for more accuracy if you have some.
Carefully place onto a large baking tray with the greaseproof paper and spread them out. Pop into the oven for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden on the edges.
Leave to cool and then drizzle with melted dark chocolate and add the chopped pecans whilst its still wet so they stick.
Enjoy with a big cuppa tea or coffee! Best served same day but will last a few days in an air tight container!
For more cookie recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make these vegan shortbreads with chocolate and maple pecans be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 150g vegan block butter, room temperature
- 85g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 1.5 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 50g dark chocolate, good quality
- 65g / 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Place vegan butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix again.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and then bring together with your hands. You can do this in the bowl, knead until it forms a dough.
- Place in some greaseproof paper and pop into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Place pecans on a baking tray and pour maple syrup over the top, toss and then pop into the oven for 3-4 minutes until dark golden and sticky. Leave to cool.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll out to 1/2 inch thick. You can do this in the greaseproof paper so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin, or lightly flour the dough.
- Cut into fingers about 3.5 inch long. I use a pizza cutter, you can use a knife or a cookie cutter if you want a different shape.
- Line a large baking sheet and then place the shortbread fingers onto it, spread them out so they have space. Use a fork and gently make some holes in top of each piece.
- Place into the oven for 12-14 minutes until starting to turn light golden on the edges. Leave to fully cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate and then drizzle onto the shortbread with a spoon. Chop the pecans into small pieces and then scatter on top whilst the chocolate is still wet so they stick.
- Serve and enjoy! Best eaten same day but will keep for a few days in an airtight container.
Use a vegan block butter as opposed to a spread. I use Flora Plant unsalted. Go for a 70% good quality dark chocolate, or sub for a vegan milk chocolate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.