This creamy sweet potato and wild rice soup with kale is the perfect winter warmer! Packed with veggies and flavour it’s filling, vegan and so comforting!
If you’re looking for a creamy chunky soup this one is for you! Cubed sweet potato, chewy wild rice and shredded kale come together in a creamy coconut broth.
The base of this soup starts with garlic, onion, celery. The coconut broth gets spiked with flavour from Italian herbs, mustard, smoked paprika and nutritional yeast.
One of the best things about this soup is that it’s a one pot recipe! It also comes together in 40 minutes – perfect when you want your fix of soup asap!
I’ve used a wild rice blend (wild rice and basmati) for this recipe, mainly because they are much more readily available here in the UK and Mum would always use them growing up.
You can sub for 100% wild rice if you have some though. Just bear in mind cooking times if you use a different blend.
What you’ll need for sweet potato and wild rice soup:
- Sweet potato
- Wild rice blend
- Dried Italian herbs
- Wholegrain mustard
- Smoked paprika
- Nutritional yeast
- Coconut milk
- Vegetable stock
That’s just 12 ingredients for a super delicious soup! Most of which you probably already have in your pantry!
You want to use coconut milk from a tin and make sure it’s not the light or reduced type as it isn’t as thick or rich.
How to make creamy wild rice soup:
Start by finely chopping the onion, garlic and celery. Heat a tbsp or two of oil in a large skillet or pot and fry.
Once soft add all the remaining ingredients minus the kale and bring to a gentle simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potato is soft through and the rice is cooked.
Add shredded kale in the last couple of minutes. I use tuscan kale/cavolo nero. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
What to serve with creamy sweet potato soup:
- Homemade sourdough croutons
- Buttery toasted sourdough
- Nothing! It is delicious as is!
This soup is best enjoyed same day but it will store in the fridge for a few days. You may find the sauce thickens more though so add some water before reheating if needed.
If you aren’t a fan of kale you can sub for spinach or other greens.
For more soup recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this creamy sweet potato and wild rice soup be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 4-5 cups chopped)
- 190g / 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1.2l / 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls shredded kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop onion, garlic and celery. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large skillet or pot and add. Fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Add dried herbs and smoked paprika and mix until fragrant.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1 inch chunks. Add to the pot with the rice, stock, mustard, nutritional yeast and coconut milk.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are soft through and the rice is cooked. If it needs some extra water towards the end you can add some.
- Add the kale in for the last couple of minutes until cooked.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
I use a basmati and wild rice blend.
Make sure to use full fat coconut milk.