This vegan creamy roasted tomato soup is perfect on chilly days. Packed with sweet roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil.
It really only take a few ingredients to make this tomato soup. The key is using good quality cherry tomatoes and roasting them to bring out their sweetness.
The tomatoes also get roasted along with garlic. Because tomatoes and garlic belong together! They also add a lot of extra flavour and sweetness when roasted.
Although you don’t have to use cherry tomatoes, I think they have the best flavour. Some of my favourite (British) varieties are – Vittoria, Pomodorino, Piccolini. You can also use beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes.
With tomato being the star of this recipe, it really pays off to get high quality tomatoes, especially local and seasonal varieties. Yes, they are more expensive, but they are totally worth it.
What you’ll need for roasted tomato soup:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Vegetable stock
- Fresh basil
- Vegan cream
- Black pepper
That really is all you need! For the cream, I use a vegan double cream alternative (Elmea or Oatly). You can sub for a cashew cream if you’d rather.
How to make creamy roasted tomato soup:
Start by roasting the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes on a large baking tray with the garlic cloves, a good glug of olive oil and salt and pepper.
Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the tomatoes are bursting and blistered. Place in a pot along with the vegetable stock on a low heat.
Add fresh basil and a good amount of crushed black pepper. Use a hand blender and blitz until smooth. I like small chunks of tomato, but blend to your preference.
Stir in vegan cream and once warmed through serve with some crusty bread and butter!
Will keep in the fridge for a few days or it freezes well!
For more tomato recipes you may enjoy these:
Roasted red pepper and sun dried tomato pasta
Vegan meatballs in marinara sauce
As always if you make this vegan creamy roasted tomato soup be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Don’t forget to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram – I’d love to see you all there!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
Sweet and creamy roasted tomato soup with garlic and basil. It's the best vegan tomato soup and perfect for cold days!
- 1.2kg / 2.6lb cherry tomatoes, good quality
- 8 garlic cloves
- Large handful / 1/2 cup packed fresh basil
- 250ml / 1 cup vegetable stock
- 125ml / 1/2 cup vegan cream
- Black pepper
- Bread and butter of choice
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Place cherry tomatoes and peeled garlic cloves on a large baking tray with a decent glug of olive oil, salt and pepper. (You can leave the tomatoes on the vine but it will be a bit more fiddly to remove after roasting).
- Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the tomatoes are bursting and blistered.
- Transfer to a large pot on low-medium heat with the stock and basil. Use a hand blender and blitz until smooth. I like it a little chunky but you can blend to your preference. If you want it thinner you can add a bit more stock.
- Stir in vegan cream and a good amount of crushed black pepper.
- Top with an extra drizzle of cream and fresh basil and serve!
Use good quality tomatoes.
I use Elmea Plant double cream or Oatly cream. You can also sub for cashew cream (blend 1/4 cup raw cashews with 1/4 cup of water in a high speed blender until smooth).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.