This Thai inspired butternut squash and kale red curry is packed with flavour, spice and veggies!
With the start of Autumn and seasonal squashes, now is the perfect time to make this butternut squash and kale red curry!
It’s super easy to make and comes together in under an hour! You probably have most of the ingredients on hand too!
This red curry is spicy, sweet and nutty as well as creamy from the coconut! It’s all the best flavours in one dish.
What you’ll need for butternut squash red curry:
- Coconut oil
- Fresh ginger
- Butternut squash
- Full fat coconut milk
- Vegetable stock
- Thai red curry paste
- Brown sugar
- Peanut butter
- Fresh coriander
It’s important that you use full fat coconut milk or you may end up with a curry that is too runny. It also doesn’t have the same richness.
For the red thai curry paste, make sure the one you pick up is vegan. Some add fish sauce so just watch out for it. I usually use Thai Taste or Blue Dragon (the paste pot NOT the jar).
Try and get a natural peanut butter and not one that is full of additives and extra sweetness. The peanut butter in this recipe really elevates the dish and works so well with the Thai flavours.
How to make butternut squash and kale red curry:
Start by finely chopping the shallots and mince the garlic and ginger. Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat and add shallots. Add garlic and ginger after a couple of minutes.
You’ll need half a medium-large butternut squash for this recipe. Peel and dice in 1cm cubes. Add to the pan along with the coconut milk, stock, sugar and salt.
Leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes until the butternut squash is soft through. Now stir through the peanut butter and add chopped kale.
Cook for a further couple of minutes until the kale has wilted. Squeeze the juice of one lime over top, stir and top with fresh coriander.
Serve with your favourite rice or grain and enjoy! I also served it with some vegan spring rolls and sweet chilli sauce – so good!
For more Thai inspired recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this butternut squash and kale red curry be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- Inch of fresh ginger
- 1 small / half a large butternut squash (about 2.5 cups cubed)
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp thai red curry paste*
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 heaped tbsp peanut butter
- 2 large handfuls cavolo nero/kale
- 1 lime
- Fresh coriander
- Heat a tbsp of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat and add finely chopped shallots. After a few minutes, add minced garlic and grated ginger.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into half inch cubes and add to the pan along with the coconut milk, vegetable stock, red curry paste, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until the squash is soft through.
- Add peanut butter and chopped kale, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes until the kale has wilted.
- Add the juice of the lime, top with fresh coriander and serve with jasmine rice and sides!
Make sure you use a vegan red curry paste (some have fish sauce in). They can also vary in spice, so start with 2 tbsp and add more if you are unsure,
You can sub kale for spinach or other greens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.