Savoury, rich and tomatoey one pan vegan creamy sausage gnocchi that comes together in 30 minutes!
We all need a quick and easy weeknight meal that can be thrown together after a busy day. With minimal ingredients and a recipe that all the family will love!
Gnocchi is always one of my go-to comfort recipes! Soft pillowy gnocchi tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with crumbled vegan sausage and bits of savoury sun dried tomatoes.
Being a one pan meal it means there is minimal washing up and it can be served straight from pan to table!
The gnocchi gets cooked in the sauce so there is no need to boil separately then add. Honestly this is such an easy recipe!
What you’ll need for one pan sausage gnocchi:
- Vegan sausages – you can use your favourite here. I nearly always use Richmond meat free, but you can go for a more herby cumberland style sausage (Cauldron or Sainsburys Plant Pioneer) if you prefer!
- Red onion – I use red onion as they are sweeter than yellow.
- Garlic – key to any sauce, use as little or as much as you like – I always opt for more!
- Sun dried tomatoes – packed with umami flavour and give for a more intense tomato flavour. You want the ones that come in oil in a jar. That oil is like liquid gold, it’s packed with garlic and herbs.
- Vegan cream – Oatly or Elmea are my favourites
- Tinned tomatoes – a tin of chopped tomatoes, if you are using whole ones just squish them in your hands to break them up before putting in the pan
- Tomato puree – to up the rich tomato flavour
- Gnocchi – for this recipe I use the packet gnocchi you find in the dried pasta aisle. Usually fresh gnocchi isn’t vegan. I would avoid using homemade/fresh gnocchi as it cooks far quicker and won’t hold up in the sauce.
- Vegan parmesan – adds a cheesy flavour to the sauce and helps thicken too, Violife parmesan is my favourite. You can sub for equal amounts nutritional yeast if you prefer.
- Basil – a staple herb for Italian sauces, fresh is best here but you can sub for dried if that’s all you have
- Salt and pepper – lots of cracked black pepper!
That is only 10 ingredients (minus the salt and pepper) for the most delicious easy weeknight gnocchi dish!
I think this recipe is a great date night meal too! You won’t spend too long preparing it in the kitchen and it looks and tastes impressive!
How to make vegan creamy sausage gnocchi:
[full recipe instructions and ingredients is below, please scroll down]
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Roughly chop the sausages into small pieces. Add to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and set in a bowl for later. This is just so the sausage don’t fall apart when cooking the gnocchi in the sauce.
Heat a bit more oil and add finely chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until softened.
Add minced garlic and fry for another couple of minutes. Add sun dried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vegan cream and gnocchi. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is cooked through and the sauce is thickened. Add cheese and sausage and stir until warmed through.
Top with chopped fresh basil and some more cracked black pepper and serve!
What to serve with gnocchi:
- Some fresh crusty bread or baked garlic bread!
- Some greens – sautee up some spinach/kale/beans/courgette
- Simple salad – lettuce/rocket/cucumber
- A nice bottle of white wine! Make it a special occasion!
I find this gnocchi is best served straight away. You can reheat slowly on the hob but you won’t get the same freshness and I find the gnocchi texture isn’t quite the same. You may also need to add some extra water to loosen the sauce.
More gnocchi recipes you may enjoy:
As always if you make this one pan vegan creamy sausage gnocchi be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE
- 6 vegan sausages
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, in oil
- 1 tin (400ml) chopped tomatoes + 200ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 250ml / 1 cup vegan cream
- 500g / 17.5oz packet gnocchi
- 25g / 1/4 cup vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Large handful fresh basil
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a skillet/pan on medium heat. Chop sausages into small 1/2 inch pieces. Add to pain and cook fof 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and place in a bowl for later.
- Heat a bit more oil and add finely chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add chopped sun dried tomatoes, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, vegan cream and gnocchi. Fill empty tin of tomatoes half way (200ml) and add too. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vegan parmesan, sausages and stir through until sausage is warmed through.
- Season with salt and lots of black pepper. Check gnocchi is soft through.
- Serve with chopped fresh basil and extra black pepper and parmesan if you like.
For a bit of spice, add 1/2-1 tsp red chilli flakes.
Make sure to use packet gnocchi you find in the dried pasta aisle, not fresh gnocchi (which isn't usually vegan) as it won't hold up as well when cooking.
I use Oatly/Elmea Plant cream and Violife parmesan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.