This vegan creamy sun dried tomato sausage gnocchi makes for a delicious easy weeknight meal! It’s got minimal ingredients but is packed with flavour!
Pillowy soft gnocchi is cooked in a homemade marinara sauce and finished with vegan cream and crumbled vegan sausage. This is comfort food at it’s best!
With less than 10 ingredients this dish is ready in half an hour, making it simple and perfect when the gnocchi cravings hit!
Sun dried tomatoes are packed with umami and make any tomato sauce superior. It’s a really easy way to add a lot of flavour to sauces. We’re using the ones you get in a jar with oil.
What you need for creamy sundried tomato sausage gnocchi:
- Vegan sausages
- Red onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Italian dried herbs
- Sun dried tomatoes, in oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Vegan cream
- Nutritional yeast
You can choose your favourite vegan sausages, I use Richmond meat free or Naked Glory sausages. They get crumbled and fried with Italian seasoning so pick ones that’ll hold their shape.
Make sure the gnocchi you buy is vegan. Usually the fresh packets contain egg and the vacuum packed ones don’t. I use the brands De Cecco or Napolina.
How to make sun dried tomato sausage gnoocchi:
Start by crumbling the vegan sausages. Heat a tbsp of oil on medium heat and fry them until starting to crisp and golden. Add the Italian dried herbs then set aside in a bowl.
Finely chop the onion and fry for a few minutes before adding the garlic. Then add the chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and water.
Leave to simmer for 10 minutes until it has thickened and is a rich red colour. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the gnocchi, cream and nutritional yeast/vegan parmesan to the sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes until the gnocchi is soft through. Add the sausage back in to heat through.
Top with some vegan parmesan and serve! Best eaten straight away but it will keep for a couple of days in the fridge.
If you want to make ahead then make the sauce and add the gnocchi and sausage before serving.
This gnocchi dish is fantastic on it’s own but if you want to jazz it up or make it go further here are some serving ideas!
What to serve with gnocchi:
- Side salad – lettuce, rocket, spinach
- Sautéed greens – spinach, kale, green beans
- Garlic bread
You can also add in some spinach or chopped kale in the last couple of minutes before serving, an easy way to get your greens in! Add a little more water to the sauce if it needs it.
For more Italian inspired recipes you may enjoy these:
Roasted red pepper and sun dried tomato pasta
As always if you make this vegan creamy sun dried tomato sausage gnocchi be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Don’t forget to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram – I’d love to see you all there!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sausage Gnocchi
Soft pockets of gnocchi in a rich and creamy sun dried tomato sauce with vegan sausage. Comfort food at it's best!
- 8 vegan sausages
- 1.5 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tin / 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250ml water
- 8 sun dried tomatoes, in oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 125ml / 1/2 cup vegan double cream
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast / grated vegan parmesan
- 1/4-1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 750g gnocchi
- Vegan parmesan
- Crumble/cut vegan sausages into small pieces. Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the sausage and fry for a few minutes until crispy and golden. Add the herbs, mix and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in the same pan and add finely chopped onion. Let cook for a few minutes and then add crushed garlic. Cook for a further minute.
- Finely chop the sun dried tomatoes and quarter the cherry tomatoes. Add to the pan along with the the tinned tomatoes. water and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the cream, nutritional yeast and gnocchi. Add the chilli flakes if you want a bit of spice.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the gnocchi is soft through. Add the sausage and stir to heat through.
- Serve and top with some vegan parmesan and extra black pepper!
Make sure the gnocchi you buy is vegan. Look for the vacuum packed ones with the dried pasta as they don't usually contain egg.
I use Violife vegan parmesan and Elmea vegan double cream.
Friday 25th of February 2022
This recipe is just perfect! So easy to make and full of flavour. Didn't have any dried chilli flakes this time but I'll make sure to add next time. I decided to top with a mix of my favourite vegan cheese https://violifefoods.com/, it turned out really good. Thank you!
Friday 25th of February 2022
Hi Jenniffer, thanks so much for your comment! So glad you enjoyed it so much :) I love the mature Violife cheese! Tamsin xo