These smashed peas and avocado on toast are the perfect way to jazz up your breakfast. It’s so simple it hardly deserves a recipe but if you haven’t had this before, I promise you’ll love it. And I’m pretty certain you’ll have it on repeat there on out!
The inspiration behind smashed peas comes from my life long dislike of peas. It was only until about a year ago that I started liking them but I can’t eat them as they are. It’s something about the texture and so I would always smash them or make mushy peas.
Mushy peas definitely have a bad name because people associate them with those ones you get from a tin. There is nothing better than making fresh mushy peas! I think it’s the name too, it really doesn’t do them justice.
My favourite way to serve these smashed peas is on toasted sourdough or ciabatta with avocado, toasted seeds and chilli oil. You can’t beat it! Of course you can just serve smashed peas on toast without the fancy toppings, it’s also delicious!
I made this for breakfast whilst catering at a yoga retreat last year. It went down so well I made it every morning and and every morning at the next retreat. No one believes how simple yet delicious it is! So I knew I had to share it with all of you too!
I’m a savoury breakfast girl 90% of the time and this is my favourite kinda breakfast. It usually always consists of toast with some sort of topping. The other 10% of the time I’m a sweet pastry/pain au chocolat girl. Usually on the weekends.
I like to make a big batch of these smashed peas and then I have them ready for the rest of the week for a quick breakfast. If you don’t have avocados you could have it with a bed of spinach, vegan cream cheese or simply on its own. The toasted seeds are not only great for you but they add a nice texture.
Also, this isn’t just a breakfast meal, although that’s when I enjoy it most. It would be great for lunch or dinner with some added protein on the side for a bigger meal!
Here are some other pea recipes you may like:
As always if you make these smashed peas be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 avocados
- 4 slices of toast
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- Chilli oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a dry frying pan place 2 tbsp of seeds. Toast on medium high heat for around 5 minutes or until starting to golden.
- In a separate frying pan, melt the tbsp of vegan butter on medium heat.
- Once melted, add the frozen peas and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Using a hand masher or blender smash the peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocados in half and then cut the flesh into slices.
- Butter the toast and top with avocado, smashed peas, toasted seeds and some chilli oil!
- I'm a bit of a pea snob but I find the Birds Eye peas to have much more flavour than other brands, so I always use them!
- I love using sourdough or ciabatta for this
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 766mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g