Nothing says spring like fresh spring veggies and this asparagus, pesto and feta omelette is exactly that! This egg free omelette is made from chickpea flour and is stuffed with caramelised onions, asparagus, vegan feta and pesto.
This vegan omelette is the perfect recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Because aren’t those the best? I’m definitely a savoury breakfast person and will always have a hot breakfast if I have time.
The omelette batter is made up of chickpea (gram) flour, water, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, ground turmeric, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
You can find chickpea/gram flour in most big supermarkets, I use the Dove Farm free from brand which I got from Sainsburys.
It’s as simple as mixing all the batter ingredients together in a bowl and then leaving to rest whilst you prepare your filling.
First comes the caramelised onion, I love caramelised red onion and it works so well with the feta. Thinly sliced red onion is cooked on a low to medium heat for about 15 minutes. You want them to be really soft.
Whilst the onions are cooking you can pan fry the asparagus with some oil, salt and pepper. You want them to be starting to brown, it will only take a few minutes.
For this recipe I’ve used shop bought feta and pesto for ease but if you fancy making your own you can!
Or if you’d rather use a different cheese a vegan cheddar or ricotta would work nicely. I really like the Sainsburys free from greek style feta cheese.
How to make a vegan omelette:
There are a few different ways to make a vegan omelette including tofu or chickpea/gram flour. I adapted a recipe from Dove’s Farm which involves mixing gram flour, water and seasoning.
Adding seasoning is really going to give the omelette flavour – I added nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic, onion and salt and pepper.
You’ll want to whisk the omelette batter first before prepping the filling to allow the batter time to rest. To make sure these turn out perfect and don’t fall apart you’ll want a non stick pan.
Also make sure the pan is clean if you’ve used it to fry the filling, with some fresh oil on medium heat.
This vegan omelette would be great with one or a few of these sides:
As always if you make this vegan asparagus, pesto and feta omelette be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
- 1 cup chickpea/gram flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 large red onion
- 200g asparagus tips
- 100g vegan feta
- 3 tsp vegan pesto
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the remaining ingredients, whisk and set aside for later.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat and add thinly sliced onion. After a few minutes turn down the heat and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes until reduced and soft.
- Snap or cut off the ends of the asparagus then cut into 2 inch pieces. Fry with some oil, salt and pepper on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a large non stick frying pan heat a tbsp of oil on medium heat. Ladle 1/3 of the omelette mixture into the pan and swirl so it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Next add 1/3 of the onion, asparagus and crumbled feta to one half of the omelette.Drizzle over 1 tsp of pesto.
- Bubbles should start to appear on the omelette. Using a non stick spatula/turner carefully flip the side with no filling over the top of the side with filling.
- Let cook for a further couple of minutes and then repeat for the remaining omelettes. Keep the cooked omelettes in the oven on a low heat.
- Serve straight away! Enjoy with a side salad or new potatoes.
Omelette recipe adapted by Dove's Farm.
I used Sacla free from pesto and Sainsburys free from greek style cheese.
Chickpea flour is naturally gluten free but if you have an allergy make sure you buy a gf brand.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 1131mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 19g