Sweet and crunchy cheesy corn fritters with a zesty lemon pepper mayo. They’re fresh and perfect for summer lunches or snacks!
With corn season in full swing it’s the perfect time to make these easy corn fritters!
But that doesn’t mean you can’t make them all year round. If you can’t get your hands on fresh corn you can use tinned or frozen. Meaning these fritters can be enjoyed any time of year!
These cheesy corn fritters only require a handful of ingredients and spices. Of course they are vegan and naturally gluten free!
Although these fritters are amazing on their own they really come together with the addition of a lemon pepper mayo.
I love the combo of sweet corn and bitter lemon. And lemon and pepper are the best mix with vegan mayo. We are using lemon zest and juice to give it a strong lemon flavour.
What you’ll need for corn fritters:
- Vegan butter
- Spring onions (scallions)
- Vegan cheddar cheese
- Baking powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chilli flakes
- Garlic powder
- Chickpea flour
- Plant milk/water
- Salt and pepper
How to make vegan cheesy corn fritters:
To start we re going to fry the corn in some vegan butter. You want it to be browned and charred. This is going to add richness to the fritters.
Add the dry ingredients to a bowl – vegan cheddar, spring onion, chives, paprika, garlic, chilli and baking powder. Give it a good mix.
In a separate bowl whisk the chickpea flour and plant milk together. You can use water if you prefer, just make sure you use an unsweetened plant milk (I used oat).
Whisk until it forms a thick batter. This is going to be our egg replacement.
Add along with the corn to the dry ingredients. Give it a good mix and leave to sit whilst you make the dip and heat up a pan.
Heat a tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
Make the dip by mixing the vegan mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper together.
Take a cookie scoop or tablespoon or the fritter mix and place in the pan. Depending how big the pan is do a few at a time, don’t overcrowd the pan.
Cook for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown then flip and repeat.
Place cooked fritters on a piece of kitchen towel to drain any excess oil.
Sprinkle with some extra chopped chives or spring onion and serve with the lemon pepper dip!
These cheesy corn fritters would be great served as a starter or snack! Or served with a side salad for lunch or dinner!
However you eat them I’d love to know! I’ve not yet managed to wait long enough to serve them with anything other than the dip – they get eaten too quickly!
For more corn recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make these vegan cheesy corn fritters be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 4 cups corn
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup plant milk
Lemon pepper dip
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Heat a tbsp of vegan butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Add the corn and fry for a couple of minutes until charred and browned, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat.
- In a bowl add the spring onion, chives, baking powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chilli flakes, salt and vegan cheese. Mix well.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the chickpea flour and plant milk until it forms a thick batter.
- Add to the dry ingredients along with the charred corn and mix well. Leave to sit.
- Heat some oil in a large non stick frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Make the dip by mixing all the ingredients together. Taste and add more pepper if you want.
- Take a cookie scoop or heaped tbsp of fritter mixture and place in the frying pan. Gently push down on top with a spatula. Repeat until you have 3-4 in the pan, depending on the size of your pan, don't overcrowd it.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Flip carefully with a spatula.
- Place cooked fritters on some kitchen roll to drain excess oil.
- Serve with lemon pepper mayo and enjoy!
You can use fresh, frozen or tinned corn.
I use Violife mature cheddar style cheese and Follow Your Heart Vegenaise mayo.