Soup season is upon us and there is nothing better than cozying up to a bowl of vegan cream of mushroom soup! It’s rich in flavour yet creamy and full of umami! Serve with your favourite crusty bread and butter!
With just 10 ingredients and ready in under 45 minutes you can whip up this soup in no time.
I love using a mix of mushrooms but you can use any you like, I would recommend using chestnut mushrooms as your base and then adding others in you like!
I did a ratio of about 300g chestnut mushrooms, 250g portobello mushrooms and 200g speciality mushrooms (a mix of shiitake/enoki/oyster). You can find speciality mushrooms in most big supermarkets, they are great for a variety of texture and flavour!
They are a bit on the pricier side so you can definitely just stick with chestnut mushrooms and it will still be delicious!
If you are serving for a crowd I love leaving a few aside, frying in butter and topping with each bowl! It looks super pretty and impressive!
This soup is loaded with mushrooms, I have had many mushroom soups over the years that have lacked mushroom flavour and been too watery. This is what mushroom soup should be like – packed with umami mushrooms with every mouthful.
What you need for cream of mushroom soup:
- Olive oil/vegan butter
- Garlic cloves
- White wine
- Plain flour
- Vegetable stock
- Vegan cream
- Salt and pepper
Like I said, use any mushrooms you like best and mix it up for more variety! The wine gives added depth of flavour, you can sub for more stock although the alcohol does get cooked off.
Miso paste is a great ingredient to have on hand. Most commonly used in Asian cooking, it is made with fermented soybean. I think it works really well alongside mushrooms as it really kicks up the umami flavour.
Flour is used to thicken the soup, you can sub for gluten free flour if needed! It is just to thicken the soup a bit.
For the cream I recommend using Oatly or Elmea Plant, they are a great dairy alternative and add the perfect creamy richness. If you are making it gluten free then go for a soy cream or you can make a cashew cream by blending 1/2 cashews with 1/2 cup water until smooth.
How to make vegan cream of mushroom soup:
Start by thinly slicing the mushrooms, you can keep some chunkier for a bit of variation. Heat butter or oil in a heavy bottom pot and add finely chopped onion.
After a few minutes once the onions are soft add the minced garlic and mushrooms and mix together. Let cook for 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down and most of the water has evaporated.
Add the wine and simmer until reduced for a few minutes. Now add the flour and mix until the mushrooms are coated. Add the stock and miso and let cook for 10-15 minutes on a gentle simmer.
Remove two cups of the mixture and place in a pyrex jug and blend with a hand blender/or place in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the soup, add the cream and stir.
Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve! You can drizzle with a bit of extra cream and some extra fried mushrooms if you want to make it fancy!
For more soup recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this vegan cream of mushroom soup be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE!
- 2 tbsp olive oil/vegan butter
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1.65lb / 750g chestnut mushrooms*
- 1/2 cup / 120ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3.5 cups / 825ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp miso
- 1/2 cup / 120ml vegan cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil/butter in a heavy bottom pot. Add finely chopped onion, let cook for a few minutes until softened then add garlic.
- Finely chop mushrooms, you can keep some a bit chunkier or cut different varieties/smaller ones in half. Add to the pan. Let cook for 10-12 minutes until reduced and most of the water has been cooked off. (If you want extra mushrooms to top the soup with, fry a handful of mushrooms in a separate pan with a bit of butter until browned).
- Add the wine and bring to a gentle simmer until most has been evaporated.
- Add the flour and mix until the mushrooms are well coated.
- Add the stock and miso and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove two cups of the mixture and place in a blender or pyrex jug and blend with a stick blender. Pour back into the soup.
- Add cream, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and drizzle with a bit of extra cream, extra mushrooms and black pepper! Perfect with some of your favourite crusty bread and vegan butter.
You can use a mix of whatever mushrooms you like, I used a base of chestnut mushrooms mixed with some portobello/oyster/shiitake.
I recommend using Oatly or Elmea Plant cream. If you can't find any vegan cream you can make a cashew cream by blending 1/4 cup cashews with 1/4 cup water until smooth and creamy.
The alcohol in the wine will be cooked off, but if you don't want to use it you can sub for more stock.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.