This creamy vegan leek and potato soup is perfect for cold wintery days! Ready in half an hour, one pot and super easy to make!
This soup is creamy, comforting and filling! Packed with buttery sautéed leeks and creamy potatoes – it’s the perfect recipe for using up seasonal autumn veg!
And what better way to warm up on a chilly afternoon than with a big bowl of cosy soup!
What you’ll need for leek and potato soup:
- Vegan butter
- Vegetable stock
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh thyme
- Agave/maple syrup
- Vegan cream
The vegan butter is used to sauté the onion, garlic and leeks. It adds an extra richness to the dish but you can sub for oil if you like.
The recipe calls for 3 leeks, you want to go for medium to large sized ones. It should make around 6 cups sliced leeks.
Which part of the leek should you use? The white and pale green parts, discard the dark green tops.
Leeks can be dirty with soil so once you’ve sliced them rinse them well in a colander before cooking.
If you can’t get hold of a vegan cream you can sub for coconut cream or cashew cream.
Once you’ve got all your ingredients ready it’s time to make this leek and potato soup!
How to make leek and potato soup:
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and then add finely chopped white onion. Cook for a few minutes until softened and then add garlic and leeks.
Let the leeks sweat and cook down, they will reduce in volume a lot. It will take about 10 minutes on medium heat, don’t rush this step.
Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Add to the pan along with the vegetable stock, thyme, dijon mustard, agave and black pepper.
Leave to simmer until the potato is cooked through, check it’s done by piercing with a knife. It will take about 15-20 minutes.
Use a hand blender (or transfer to a blender) and blend until smooth. Add the cream, stir and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
This is quite a thick soup, if you want it thinner add a bit of extra water.
To serve – I like to top with chopped fresh chives and a side or toasted buttered sourdough or sourdough croutons!
For more soup recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this vegan leek and potato soup be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- Knob of vegan butter
- 1 white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 medium-large leeks (6 cups chopped)
- 2lb/900g potatoes
- 4 1/4 cups/1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup
- 1/2 cup/120 ml vegan cream
- Heat vegan butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add finely chopped onion, mix and let cook for a few minutes.
- Cut the ends of the leeks, remove the outer layer and chop off the dark green tops. Slice the leeks in half lengthways and then slice into semi circles. Place in a colander and rinse well to get rid of any soil.
- Add minced garlic and leeks to the pan and leave to sweat and cook. The leeks will reduce in volume and become soft and wilted. It may take around 10 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch sized cubes. Add to the pan along with the vegetable stock, thyme (just the leaves), mustard and maple syrup. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft through. Use a knife to check.
- Use a hand blender (or transfer to a blender) and blend until smooth. Add the vegan cream and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and top with a drizzle of cream and chopped chives. b
You can sub the vegan cream for coconut cream or cashew cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.