This super quick and easy vegan tempeh fried rice will satisfy all your take away cravings! It’s the perfect recipe to make when you have leftover rice or veggies that need eating up!
And it’s completely customisable – you can add any vegan protein or veggies you like! Try carrots, peas or sweetcorn or use tofu or a vegan chicken!
All you need is the sauce, rice, onion and garlic as your base and you can make it your own! But my favourite is adding tempeh and broccoli, and sometimes peas!
What is tempeh?
Tempeh is made from fermented soy beans, think of it like tofu’s cousin but less processed. It’s high in protein, very firm and like tofu can take on flavours really well.
It’s used in Indonesian cooking a lot and here in the UK it’s gaining popularity. Which makes it great in dishes like this fried rice! You can now find it in most major supermarkets which is great! If you can’t, it’ll more than likely be in your local health food store.
If you’re in the UK, brands like The Tofoo Co and Plant Power are stocked in Sainsbury’s – I used The Tofoo Co one in this recipe.
I cut it into small cubes for this fried rice, but you can cut it any way you like as it will hold it’s shape. You could try crumbling it or cut into thinner slices.
How to make the fried rice sauce:
The sauce for this fried rice is really simple and requires just a few ingredients. We have dark soy sauce (you can use light but I like how it darkens the rice), mirin (a sweet cooking wine), hoisin sauce (to replace non vegan oyster sauce), toasted sesame oil and sriracha (optional if you don’t want spice).
Whisk these together in a small bowl and set aside whilst you prep the rest of the ingredients.
In a wok on medium heat add a tablespoon of oil then add the tempeh chunks with a tbsp of the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes until the tempeh is brown and starting to go crispy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for later.
Next, add the finely chopped onion, after two minutes add the garlic and cook until fragrant and soft.
Cut the broccoli into small pieces and add to the wok, cook until it’s starting to slightly brown/crisp. You want it to have some crunch still.
Add to the bowl with the tempeh then add 2 tbsp of oil to the wok and add the cooked rice. Ideally you want to use day old rice for this, I used white long grain rice.
But if you don’t have time then cook the rice, run under cold water then leave to cool before frying. It needs to be cold so it doesn’t stick together when you cook it.
Stir to coat the rice in the oil and let fry for a few minutes before adding the sauce. It’ll turn a nice golden brown colour, keep frying then add the onion, brocolli and tempeh back in to warm through.
Serve with chopped spring onion, extra soy sauce and chilli flakes! This tempeh vegan fried rice serves 4 as a main or 6 as a side.
For more asian inspired recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this vegan fried rice be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 4 cups (about 700g) cooked long grain rice, cooled
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 200g tempeh, cut into small cubes
- 1 head of broccoli
- 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2-1 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Extra soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Prepare the sauce by whisking al the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Cut the tempeh into small chunks about 1/2 cm each. Heat a tbsp of oil in a wok/large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the tempeh chunks and 1 tbsp of the sauce and cook until the sauce is absorbed and the tempeh is browned and starting to turn crispy. Then trasnfer to a bowl ans set aside.
- Add a bit more oil and the finely chopped onion. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the garlic. Cook until fragrant and soft.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets/pieces and add to the wok, fry until starting to brown. You want it to have a bit of crunch still.
- Add to the bowl with the tempeh then heat 2 tbsp of oil. When hot add the cooked rice, stir to coat and let fry for a couple of minutes before adding the sauce.
- Leave to cook, the rice will turn a nice golden brown colour and begin to get crispy. Add the broccoli and tempeh to warm through.
- Thinly slice the green parts of the spring onion. Sprinkle on top and serve with extra soy sauce and chilli flakes.
Add any veggies or vegan protein you like. Try peas, sweecorn, carrot or tofu!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1704mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g