Super easy, delicious and filling black bean and sweet potato enchiladas! Roasted sweet potato and black beans in a smoky tomato sauce wrapped in tortillas and baked to vegan cheesy perfection!
You can’t go wrong with these enchiladas, they’re super simple and packed with flavour. Sweet potato gets roasted to until soft and sweet and starting to crisp.
Black beans are fried with garlic and onion, smoked paprika, cumin and tomato enchilada sauce.
You can either make your own or use shop bought. I like using this enchilada sauce recipe from Cookie and Kate. You can adjust the spiciness as you wish if you like it milder or hot!
If you’re using a shop bought enchilada sauce these generally aren’t very spicy so go ahead and add some chilli powder if you like. Just make sure it’s vegan as some have cream added!
What you need for black bean and sweet potato enchiladas:
- Black beans (in a tin)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Enchilada Sauce (shop bought or homemade)
- Smoked Paprika
- Chilli Powder
- Tortillas (flour or corn)
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese (I used Violife Mature)
- Optional toppings – fresh coriander, green chilli, lime and avocado
Traditionally enchiladas are made with corn tortillas but these are harder to find in the uk (unless you make them yourself) than flour ones. You’ll often find ones labelled corn and flour tortillas.
How to assemble enchiladas:
Have everything ready to go. Grate the cheese, have your filling and remaining sauce on hand.
Warm up the tortillas for 20-30 seconds in the microwave.
Choose a large roasting dish (if you’re making the full amount) that will fit in 8 enchiladas.
Spoon and spread a few tablespoons of the sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
Take a wrap, place 2 tablespoons of filling in the middle along with a small handful of vegan cheese.
Gently roll so the filling is evenly spread inside and then place at one end of the dish.
Repeat until you have filled 8 tortillas, you can pack them tightly in the dish but if you don’t have a large dish you can just use two smaller ones.
Pour the remaining sauce on top. I like to leave the ends of the enchiladas sauce free so they go crispy.
Evenly scatter the remaining vegan cheese on top and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
The sauce should be bubbling at the sides and the cheese nice and melted. Check its hot through by piercing an enchilada in the middle with a knife.
To serve, I use a bendy flat spatula (affiliate link) like this for lifting them out! They’re a super handy kitchen utensil.
What to serve with black bean and sweet potato enchiladas:
- Rice or other grain such as quinoa.
- Salad – I love serving with a mexican slaw!
- Guac! You can skip adding avocado on top and turn it into guac instead. Red onion and lots of lime and coriander are key!
- Grilled corn – so so good!
- All of the above!
Once the enchiladas are baked I topped with lots of chopped fresh coriander, green chilli and avocado pieces. It’s optional but makes them even more delicious!
For more sweet potato recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make these black bean and sweet potato enchiladas be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes (about 650g)
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tin (400g) black beans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of hot chilli powder
- 2.5 cups (500ml) enchilada sauce
- 8 tortilla wraps (flour or corn)
- 1 1/4 cups (120g) vegan cheddar cheese, grated
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 avocado
- 2 green chillies
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1cm chunks. Place in a baking tray and toss with some oil, salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until soft and starting to brown on the edges.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add finely chopped red onion, stir and let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the garlic and fry for a few minutes until fragrant and the onions are soft.
- Add drained black beans, cumin, smoked paprika and pinch of hot chilli powder ( or more if you like it spicy). Stir and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup (about 200ml) of the enchilada sauce along with the roasted sweet potato and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat.
- Prepare to assemble the enchiladas. Warm up the tortillas for 20-30 seconds until soft.
- In a large roasting dish spoon a few tbsp of sauce and spread into a thin layer.
- Take a tortilla, place 2 tbsp of filling inside and a small handful of cheese. Gently roll and then place open side down. Repeat until all 8 enchiladas are snug in the dish.
- Pour over and spread the remaining sauce on top. I like to leave the edges sauce free so they go crispy.
- Scatter the vegan cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes until the sides are bubbling and the cheese is nice and melted.
- Serve and top with fresh coriander, avocado, lime and chilli.
For a homemade enchilada sauce I like to use this one from Cookie and Kate. It makes enough for this recipe.
I use Violife Mature cheddar style cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 854Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gSodium: 1495mgCarbohydrates: 124gFiber: 16gSugar: 16gProtein: 27g