Smoky black bean chipotle chili with roasted sweet potato! This vegan chili is filled with black beans and red pepper in a spicy smoky chipotle tomato sauce.
Topped with some roasted sweet potato which are a match made in heaven with this chipotle chilli. It’s healthy, full of flavour and so comforting.
This chili will be loved by your vegan and non vegan friends and family. It’s a great recipe for sharing at gatherings, the chili is one pot and the roasted veggies need hardly any prep!
This black bean chili starts by frying finely diced onion, garlic and pepper. I went for red pepper because I dislike green peppers but you can use your favourite!
Once the peppers are starting to soften and brown we add comes cumin seeds, smoked paprika, chipotle paste, sun dried tomato paste/puree and hot chilli powder.
This gets a stir and saute for 30 seconds before adding the black beans, chopped tomatoes, water and cinnamon stick.
I’m using cooked black beans from a carton for speed and convenience. If you want to use dried ones, cook them separately before adding.
Black beans are a great source of fibre and protein and I love adding them to hearty casserole type dishes. They’re also great in burgers or patties and have a great texture when mashed.
I’ve also used shop bought chipotle paste in this chili, it’s a great ingredient to have in the cupboard when you want to add a spicy smoky flavour to a recipe.
They usually don’t have any added preservatives or additives in them but of course if you want to make your own you can!
Whilst the chili is simmering, you ca prepare your sweet potatoes. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, toss in some oil salt and pepper and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
They’ll be soft and starting to caramelise/brown on the edges. The sweetness compliments the smoky chili flavours and is one of the best combinations in my opinion!
To serve, I topped with some Oatly creme fraiche and fresh coriander. To make this meal go further you could also serve with some rice or quinoa.
For more comfort food recipes you may enjoy these:
- curried sweet potato and chickpea patties
- sweet potato lentil shepherd’s pie
- thai sweet potato and carrot soup
- sausage and cannellini bean stew
As always if you make this black bean chipotle chili with roasted sweet potato be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 1 large red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of hot chilli powder
- 2-3 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste/puree
- 2 tins (800g) black beans
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick
Roasted Sweet Potato
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
To Serve (optional)
- Vegan sour cream
- Chilli flakes
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Finely chop the onion and red pepper and crush the garlic.
- Heat some oil in a medium sized pot on medium heat. Place the onion and pepper in and leave to fry for a few minutes before adding the garlic.
- Let cook for another couple of minutes and then add cumin seeds, smoked paprika, chilli powder, chipotle pasta and tomato puree.
- Give a good stir so everything is well coated.
- Next add the drained black beans, chopped tomatoes, water and cinnamon stick. Bring to a gentle simmer and leave for about 25-30 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place on a baking sheet and toss in oil, salt and pepper. Pop i the oven for 20 minutes.
- The chilli should be thickening and turning a deep red colour. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- The sweet potato is ready when its soft and starting to caramelise/brown on the edges.
- Serve the chilli with the roasted sweet potato and top with some vegan sour cream, fresh coriander and extra chilli!
- Will keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
I used Waitrose chipotle paste and Oatly sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 13gSugar: 14gProtein: 11g