Light, moist and zesty vegan lemon and poppy seed cake topped with a simple lemon icing. Packed with fresh lemon juice, zest and poppy seeds.
Lemon cake will always be one of my favourite flavours. It’s a british classic and I’ve grown up eating plenty of lemon drizzle cakes!
I love pairing lemon in cakes, this lemon and elderflower cake is one of the most popular cake recipes on the blog.
Adding poppy seed to cake means it’s automatically healthy right? They add a lovely nutty crunch and pair with the lemon perfectly.
The best thing about loaf cakes is that you don’t have to worry about layering sponges.
Simply spoon the simple lemon icing on top and you’re good to go!
This is the perfect cake to have with an afternoon cup of tea. Or breakfast. Or for dessert. Of course having three slices in one day is totally acceptable!
You wouldn’t be able to resist this lemon poppy seed loaf either, it never lasts long in my house!
How to make a vegan cake:
My favourite swaps for a vegan cake are using plant milk and a neutral flavoured oil. They make for super moist cakes and you won’t notice dairy or eggs are missing.
Making this lemon poppy seed cake is so simple. For your dry ingredients you’re going to mix together self raising flour, baking powder, caster sugar and poppy seeds.
In a separate bowl mix together your wet ingredients – rapeseed oil (or canola oil), unsweetened almond milk (or soy milk), lemon juice and lemon zest.
Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mixed until just combined. Pour into a lined loaf tin and pop in the oven for 45-55 minutes.
To make the simple lemon icing simply mix lemon juice with icing sugar and mix until a thick icing forms.
Once the cake has cooled, spoon over the top of the cake with the back of a spoon until some drips over the edges.
Sprinkle some poppy seeds and lemon zest on top and voila! Dig straight in and enjoy with a cup of tea!
For more vegan cakes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this vegan lemon poppyseed cake be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 185g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 120ml rapeseed/canola oil
- 230ml unsweetened almond milk
- Juice of 4 lemons (~125ml)
- Zest of 3 lemons (~3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 170g/3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line and grease a 9x5" loaf tin.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and poppy seeds and mix with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl mix together the oil, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla,
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and place in the oven for 45-55 minutes. It should be starting to turn golden brown on the edges. Do the toothpick test and once it comes out clean, its ready.
- Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and lemon together until it forms a thick icing. Spoon onto the cake once cooled with the back of a spoon.
- Top with some poppy seeds and lemon zest ans serve! Will keep in an air tight container for 2-3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gSodium: 529mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 5g