Lightly spiced curried sweet potato and chickpea patties. These patties are a great way to get your veggies in and are packed with flavour!
They make the perfect accompaniment to a curry or as a starter with mango chutney and raita!
Sweet potatoes and chickpeas work so well together, you’ll notice them in quite a few of my recipes! If you’re looking for a new way to eat sweet potato, or chickpeas – this is it!
To start, the sweet potatoes are cooked in the microwave (or boiled if you don’t have one) until soft. Whilst they’re cooking we fry onion and garlic and then add the spices.
We’ve got curry powder, cumin seeds, garam masala a pinch of hot chilli powder and salt.
For ease, this recipe calls for a tin of chickpeas but you can soak and cook them if you’d rather. The chickpeas get mashed with a back of the fork. Leave some whole for added texture.
Once the sweet potato is cooked, carefully remove the skins. Add them to a bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher.
Next add the onion and spice mix, mashed chickpeas, flax egg, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast and coriander. Give it a good mix until well combined.
Now you’re ready to fry them! You can use an ice cream scoop or your hand to shape the mixture into balls. Then you’ll flatten them into a patty shape. I made 10, but you could make them smaller.
In a large frying pan heat some oil on medium high-heat and then place the patties in at 3-4 at a time, depending on the size of your patties and pan. They should be nicely golden on each side.
Repeat until you have cooked them all – I keep the cooked ones in the oven on a low heat to keep them warm.
These patties would make a great side to one of these curries:
Also check out one of my most popular recipes if you love sweet potato and chickpeas:
If you want to make these ahead of time you can either leave the mixture in the fridge or fry them and warm them up in the oven before you want to eat them.
Pop them in for 10-15 minutes at 150C/300F. Once cooked, they will keep for a few days in the fridge in an air tight container.
I served these with some mango chutney, which added a nice sweetness. However a raita (cucumber yoghurt sauce) would also be delicious!
As always if you make these curried sweet potato chickpea patties be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1.5 cups, mashed)
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of hot chilli powder
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tin chickpeas (240g drained)
- 1 cup / 30g fresh coriander
- 3.5 tbsp chickpea/gram flour
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pierce the sweet potatoes and then place on a microwavable plate in the microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Finely dice the onion and fry in a large frying pan on medium heat. After a few minutes add crushed garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, salt and chilli and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Drain the chickpeas and mash with the back of a fork in a bowl until roughly mashed, you can leave some whole for texture.
- Check the sweet potatoes are soft all the way through, if not cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the microwave and carefully slice open length ways. Scoop out the flesh, place in a bowl and mash until soft.
- Add the mashed chickpeas, onion and spices, flax eggs, chopped coriander, chickpea flour and nutritional yeast. Mix well.
- Wipe the frying pan clean and heat some oil. Take a tbsp of the patty mixture, roll into a bowl and press down gently to form a patty shape.
- Fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. I was able to fry 4-5 at a time.
- Keep cooked patties in the oven on a low heat to keep warm.
- Serve with mango chutney, yoghurt raita or your favourite curry!
1 flax egg = 1 tbsp flaxseed mixed with 2.5 tbsp water. Leave to thicken.
Use certified GF chickpea flour if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g