This roasted aubergine and chickpea curry is packed with flavour and texture. Plus it’s super easy to make!
The aubergine gets roasted until it’s crispy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside.
If you’re trying to convince someone to like aubergine, this is it!
How to make aubergine and chickpea curry:
First we are going to start by roasting aubergine, which is my favourite way to cook it! If you want to reduce the cook time you can fry them instead but I love the flavour and texture from roasting them!
Wash and cut them into 2 inch chunks, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven whilst you prepare the rest of the curry.
The auergine is ready when its starting to brown and crisp on the outside but is buttery soft in the middle – yum! It will take about 20 minutes but keep an eye on it as ovens will vary.
In a frying pan, add the cumin seeds, chilli and curry leaves in oil and cook until fragrant, keep an eye on it so you don’t burn it! Next comes the ginger, garlic and onion.
Give them a good mix and let cook until the onion is soft and translucent. It will smell amazing at this point! Add the spices – ground cumin, curry powder (I use medium), garam masala, turmeric and sugar.
Add the tinned chopped tomatoes and chickpeas and leave to gently simmer for 10 minutes. When the aubergine is cooked add this too, the sauce should be nice and thick.
Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve! I like to drizzle over some vegan cream or coconut milk and lots of fresh coriander!
I had to stop myself eating half of it before putting it in the curry, it’s that good. Anyone else obsessed with aubergine like me? I feel like aubergine is a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it.
I actually used to hate aubergine until I knew how to cook it and make it taste delicious. It has a wonderful meaty texture which is great for vegan and vegetarian recipes.
This recipe serves 4 as a main or more as a side. It would be delicious served alongside a lentil dhal, you can find my turmeric and lentil dhal recipe here! I also served this curry with basmati rice, coriander and garlic poppadoms and chilli mango chutney.
For more curry recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make this roasted aubergine and chickpea curry be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 2 aubergines (about 500g)
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 dried curry leaves
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tin chickpeas (400g)
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Drizzle of vegan cream
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut the aubergines in half length ways, then again and cut into 2 inch chunks. Place on a baking tray and toss in some vegetable oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven. Check after 10 minutes and give them a toss, if they look a little dry just add a bit more oil.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds, chopped chilli and curry leaves. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the crushed ginger, crushed garlic and sliced onion. Cook until the onion has sweated and turns translucent.
- Add the ground cumin, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and sugar. Give it a good mix.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chickpeas and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Check the aubergine. It needs about 20 minutes. It should have crisped on the outside, and the flesh will be brown and soft.
- Add the aubergine to the curry and chopped coriander and stir.
- Serve with extra coriander and a drizzle of vegan cream and enjoy as a side or main. Will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
If you like it spicy, don't de-seed the red chilli.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 13gSugar: 18gProtein: 17g