If you don’t already have a go to bolognese recipe, this ones for you. Or maybe you do, but you should definitely try it anyway. Made with vegan mince and mushrooms for that meaty texture and cooked in a rich tomatoey red wine sauce. Need I say more? This recipe can easily be made into a chilli too, just add some kidney beans and extra spice!
I like to make a big batch of this, in fact I doubled the quantity when I made this last night and I now have enough for about 8 meals. It will freeze well too, you know for those days when you get home and all you want to do is lie on the sofa and then find yourself scrolling through Instagram getting hungrier and hungrier and it’s 8pm. You can dig out your frozen bolognese, and you’re good to go.
If any of you are taking part in Veganuary, or just want a healthier alternative this recipe is filling, rich and ‘meaty’. I’d love to know if any of you are taking part, and if there are any meat recipes you would like veganised!
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large carrot
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup veg stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp marmite
- 300g vegan mince
- 400g wholewheat spaghetti
- Finely chop the onions and mince the garlic. Heat some vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat and when hot add the garlic and onion. Let sautee for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the carrot into small pieces and add to the pan, along with the chopped celery. After about 5 minutes add the roughly sliced mushrooms. You wanted them quite chunky for texture.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked and there is no water left from them, add the paprika and nutmeg. Give it a good stir.
- Add the red wine and let simmer for a minute before adding the tomatoes, veg stock, soy sauce, herbs, mince, marmite and mince.
- Let this simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the sauce is the right consistency and it is a nice rich red colour. Whilst you are waiting, put some spaghetti boil to boil for 10 minutes.
- Once then spaghetti is cooked, drain and serve topped with the mince, some fresh basil and vegan cheese.