When banana, chocolate and peanut butter meet this chocolate chip banana bread with peanut butter frosting is born!
This is what cake dreams are made of and when it’s got banana in it’s automatically healthy right?
I’ve always loved banana bread and if you know me you’ll know I have a deep love for chocolate. So it’s no surprise I added chocolate chips and anyway banana and chocolate belong together!
If you want to make this banana bread without chocolate just simply leave them out.
When I made this the first time I felt like something was missing, it needed some kind of frosting. As I didn’t add much sugar to the cake I wanted some sweetness from the frosting.
And what better ingredient to add to frosting than peanut butter! Which is the perfect addition to banana and chocolate.
When making banana bread you want to make sure your bananas are really ripe. They should be brown and really soft. If you want to speed up the ripening process, pop them in a paper bag and seal.
This banana bread is totally acceptable as breakfast, afternoon snack or dessert! Yesterday, I did all three! It is so moreish that I’m pretty sure you’ll want more than one slice!
The funny thing is I used to hate bananas and peanut butter, now I can’t get enough of them! Plus if it’s in cake I will eat most things!
For more fruity cake recipes you may enjoy:
As always if you make this chocolate chip banana cake be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE 🙂
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 75ml rapeseed oil/other neutral flavoured oil
- 75ml unsweetned almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 100g vegan butter
- 45g smooth peanut butter
- 85g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/180C/350F.
- In a bowl mash the bananas until it resembles a thick batter.
- Add the oil, almond milk, vanilla essence and sugar and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and then sift into the wet ingredients.
- Fold until just combined, add the chocolate chips and gently stir in. Do not over mix the batter.
- Grease and line a 9x5" loaf tin. Pour the batter in, smooth the top and then place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Make your frosting while the cake is baking. Mix all frosting ingredients together and put aside.
- Check the cake is done by placing a toothpick/skewer in the middle, it should come out clean.
- Leave to cool, transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool, spoon on the frosting and top with some chocolate shavings. Best eaten fresh but will keep in an air tight container for a few days.
If you can't find chocolate chips use 70% good quality dark chocolate and chop into chunk sized pieces.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g