This fluffy and creamy vegan garlic mashed potato is the ultimate potato dish for your next meal or spread.
There are only 5 ingredients in this mash potato. You can use any type of potato but I like to use maris piper potatoes for mash as they are soft and creamy.
The other ingredients are plant milk, vegan butter, garlic and chives. That’s all you need to make a really tasty creamy vegan mashed potato.
In fact the garlic and chives are optional but they work so well in this dish.
I would call it a side dish but I could definitely eat a whole bowl of it as a main too. It’s light, creamy, fluffy and buttery.
One of my favourite meals with mash potato is sausage and mash with lots of gravy. Its such a quick meal and so comforting.
It’s one of those recipes that my mum would always make and it always feels like home. It’s also great with a casserole, roast or shepherd’s pie.
How to make garlic mashed potato:
Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters so they are all roughly the same size. Place into a pot of salted boiling water and leave for about 25 minutes.
You want to make sure the potatoes are really soft all the way through. It’s better to slighly overcook than undercook to avoid any lumps.
Place the garlic in the oven whilst these are cooking. Cut the top off the head of garlic and drizzle in oil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. It should be starting to brown on the outside and the cloves should be soft.
Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and add back to the pan. Squeeze the garlic cloves in along with the almond milk and vegan butter.
The secret to super smooth mashed potato is to use an electric hand mixer. It’s much quicker than using a masher and is guaranteed to get rid of any lumps!
Beat for a couple of minutes until soft and creamy, taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with some extra vegan butter for that melty goodness and some freshly chopped chives!
American Thanksgiving is 3 days away so if your looking for a vegan mash potato recipe for your vegan friends and family, this is it!
I’ll me making this for Christmas and many times before that too. We always like to have at least two potato dishes and my leek and potato dauphinoise is a great addition.
I’ve had a really busy week with clients that I haven’t had much time to develop recipes for the blog but I have SO many ideas that will be coming soon. If you have any suggestions please let me know!
This mashed potato would be great alongside some of these:
As always if you make this creamy vegan garlic mashed potato be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 1.5kg maris piper potatoes
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk
- 60g vegan butter plus extra for topping
- 1 head of garlic (about 10-12 cloves)
- Handful of fresh chives
- Pre heat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into haves/quarters and place in a large saucepan of boiling water with a pinch of salt. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic so you can just see the cloves. Drizzle in some oil and place on a tray in the oven for about 20 minutes. You want them to be soft but be careful they don't burn.
- Check the potatoes are done by piercing with a knife, they should be soft and fluffy.
- Drain and place back in the pan with the milk and use an electric mixer to blend until smooth.
- Squeeze the cloves out of their skins. Finely chop/mince and add to the potato with the butter and chopped chives. Mix again.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with extra chives and butter.
You can use any type of potato and plant milk. I just find these work best.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g