These vegan crispy smoky chickpeas are the perfect snack or salad topper! They’re perfectly crunchy and a great protein packed savoury snack.
Sometimes you just have a craving for something sweet and salty and these hit the spot.
The little crunchy nuggets are great on their own but also great added to salads, stews or dips.
If you’re adding them to dishes just make sure you do it before serving so they don’t soften and lose their crunch.
The key to these chickpeas getting crispy is oil and time in the oven. They will take 45-55 minutes to really crisp up, so don’t rush this or whack the temperature up.
Spice is key to flavour and these have a smoky ‘bacon’ seasoning. It’s what I use to make coconut bacon.
What you’ll need for crispy smoky chickpeas:
- Smoked paprika
- Dried herbs
- Garlic powder
- Soy sauce
- Maple/agave syrup
- Liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper
Liquid smoke is a great way of adding smokiness to recipes. Think of it as an easy way to get that BBQ smoked flavour. You can find it in some supermarkets on Amazon (I use this one, aff link).
How to make crispy smoky chickpeas:
To start we need to make sure the chickpeas are as dry as possible. Drain and rinse the chickpeas then place in a tea towel or kitchen paper and pat dry.
This is to ensure that they crisp up as much as possible, so don’t skip it.
Toss in oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven at 200C/400F for 40 minutes. Toss them half way through.
They should be golden and crispy and starting to split. Make the smoky sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
Toss the chickpeas in the paste and then pop back in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye to make sure they don’t burn.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes. They will crisp up further as they cool.
Best eaten same day, but will keep for a few days. Make sure you don’t keep them in the fridge or they will soften. Cover loosely and store in a dry place.
For more chickpea recipes you may enjoy these:
As always if you make these crispy smoky chickpeas be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
- 1 tin (400g) chickpeas
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Use a tea towel or kitchen paper to pat dry the chickpeas. The dryer they are the better they will crisp up. Remove any loose chickpea skins.
- Toss in oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Toss half way.
- Make the smoky seasoning by mixing the smoked paprika, garlic, herbs, soy sauce, maple syrup and liquid smoke in a small bowl.
- The chickpeas should be golden and crispy and some splitting. Toss in the smoky paste and pop back in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, they will crisp up as they dry.
- Best serve same day but will keep for a few days lightly covered in a cool place. Don't keep in the fridge or they will soften.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.