Make the most out of summer fruit with this vegan strawberry and rhubarb crumble. It’s sweet, fruity and topped with a crunchy buttery crumble topping.
Strawberries and rhubarb are a great summer fruit combo, especially in baked goods!
The sweetness from the strawberries compliment the tartness from the rhubarb. A mouthful of them combined with a crunchy buttery topping is the dream.
It’s up to you whether you choose cream, custard or ice cream but I always go for ice cream. I love the hot and cold combo.
If you’re in the UK my favourite brands for vegan cream are Oatly or Elmea, custard Oatly or Alpro and ice cream Swedish Glace.
One of the best things about crumble is that it’s so easy to make and you don’t need many ingredients, less than 10!
You probably have all the pantry ingredients already so it’s just the fresh fruit you’ll need.
What you’ll need for strawberry rhubarb crumble:
- Caster sugar
- Vanilla essence
- Vegan butter
- Plain flour
- Demerara sugar
Within 40 minutes you’ll have this beautiful vegan crumble out the oven and your house will smell amazing!
It’s a great easy dessert for sharing with loved ones. It will serve 4-6 depending on how big you make the servings.
How to make this strawberry rhubarb crumble:
Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces and strawberries in half. Place the rhubarb in the dish along with the lemon, half the sugar and vanilla essence.
Roast these for 10 minutes whilst you make the crumble mix.
Place the flour and cinnamon into a bowl and add teaspoons of the butter so it is easier to crumble in your hands. Use your hands to mix into a crumble consistency. Add the sugar and mix again.
Take the rhubarb out the oven and mix in the strawberries and rest of the sugar. Stir well and then add the crumble topping.
Pour it over evenly so it’s all covered and pop back in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
It’s ready when the fruit is bubbling up the sides and the crumble has turned golden brown and crispy.
Take out the oven and let sit for a minute before serving. Serve with vegan cream, custard or ice cream! Or all of them if you can’t decide!
For more fruity desserts you may enjoy these:
Upside down pear and almond cake
As always if you make this vegan strawberry and rhubarb crumble be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Don’t forget to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram – I’d love to see you all there!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! GET MORE VEGAN RECIPES SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX – SUBSCRIBE HERE ?
Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
This vegan strawberry and rhubarb crumble is the perfect summer dessert! It's sweet, juicy and fruity and topped with a buttery crumble topping. Serve with cream, custard or ice cream!
- 3 cups / ～300g strawberries
- 3 cups / ～300g rhubarb
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup / 8 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/4 cups / 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup / 80g vegan butter
- 1/3 cup / 80g demerara sugar
- Vegan cream, custard or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch slices and place in a crumble/pie dish. Mix with the lemon juice, vanilla and half the sugar. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cut the strawberries in half.
- Prepare the crumble topping. Mix flour and cinnamon. Add butter in tsp lumps and then rub the mixture in between fingers until it resembles crumble consistency. Add demerara sugar and mix.
- Take rhubarb out of the oven, add the strawberries, rest of the sugar and cornstarch and stir well.
- Pour the crumble mix on top, make sure it is evenly spread. Pop in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the juice is bubbling up the side and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with vegan cream, custard or ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 90mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate
Friday 11th of June 2021
Love this! Delicious!! But you don’t ever say to add the vanilla. I did it with the strawberries and sugar. Anyone else wonder about that? Thanks for a great recipe!
Friday 11th of June 2021
Hi Nancy, ah sorry about that, you added it at the right time, I'll amend the recipe :) So glad you enjoyed it :) Tamsin xo